The case was a particularly notorious one because of the gory manner in which the young Mrs. Arowolo, then 29-years-old, was killed. Mr. Arowolo maintained his innocence when arrested, throughout the trial and even after his conviction and sentencing.
Here are 10 things you should know about the infamous Arowolo murder:
1) Akolade Arowolo murdered his wife Titilayo on June 24, 2011 in Isolo, Lagos and was arrested the next day by the police.
2) The couple have daughter together, named Olamide, who was 2-years-old at the time of her mother’s murder.
3) Titilayo was a banker with Skye bank and her colleagues said that she came to work with bruises many times.
4) John Obafunwa, the pathologist who testified in the case, said that the deceased was stabbed 76 times with a sharp object and her vital organs were punctured.
5) Akolade insisted that his wife had killed herself after stabbing him also, and he testified that she fell on a knife while attacking him.
7) The murder was carried out with so much violence that witnesses claim that her eyes were gouged out and a vital organ was found on the floor.
8) Akolade’s parents, Mudashiru and Bolanle, claimed during trial, that their son was innocent and that Titilayo, nicknamed ‘Margaret Thatcher’, and her family members were troublemakers.
9) Akolade was sentenced to death by Justice Lateefat Okunnu of a Lagos high court, after which he screamed for his wife’s spirit to arise and vindicate him.
10) George Oyakhire, the father of the deceased said in response to the judgment that he had no cause to rejoice because the sentence of Akolade meant he was losing a son as well.